Spring season is cancelled.
Please check back for fall registration.
No association meeting this Wednesday 3/18.
see below. Updated 3/14 17:16
MARCH TRYOUTS PUSH BACK TO APRIL 7, 2020
Over the last week, we have seen local schools, universities, amateur and professional sports and both large and small business take important steps in order to best mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The President of the United States has declared a National Emergency, and the Governor of Michigan has also issued similar declarations.
As part of the Governor’s order, she is limiting large gatherings to 250 people, with a recommendation that gatherings not be over 100 people. We are expecting the lowering of that mandates as the number of confirmed cases increase in Michigan. In addition, several municipal rinks have announced they will be closed for the next several weeks and some have also announced they are taking ice out early to reduce expenses incurred with idle facilities. This leaves some associations with no-ice until early April.
Today (March 14) the Michigan Amateur Hockey Executive Board has enacted an additional emergency action to push back the start of ALL tryout for next season until no earlier than April 7, 2020.The Executive Committee feels this best serves the overall wellbeing of our players, coaches, officials, volunteers and their families and will help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. We also feel that this will help provide a fair and equitable playing field for all organizations and teams to be able start tryouts on level footing. MAHA expects all organizations and coaches to be respectful of this change and MAHA will enforce sanctions of anyone found violating that date. Violations could include executing commitments, parent/player contact, evaluation skates, team building exercises etc.. Sanctions can affect an organizations ability to play in leagues and district or state tournaments next season.
Be advised that tryouts dates could still change further as the situation evolves.
We will continue to monitor State and local government directives and provide updates as needed. Thank you for your continued support. Stay healthy.
Michigan Amateur Hockey Association
Garden City Ice Arena is closed until further notice.
All GCHA events, at rink, are cancelled.
We will update as we receive information.
On March 12, MAHA held an emergency call regarding COVID-19 and its effects on the current state of hockey. As you are aware, everything is very fluid and can change in a moment’s notice.
As of 8:30 pm last night here are the facts that came out of the call.
• Try-out dates are still in effect. The try-out dates will not be moved forward. March 23 is the start date for non-national bound and April 7 for national bound divisions. There should not be any activities such as evaluation skates, or any type of tryout or recruiting activities taking place until that time.
• State Playoffs are cancelled and all teams who were to participate in states should start to see refunds coming back from the hosts soon.
• Michigan players development and Team Michigan tryouts for boys are postponed but are looking to be rescheduled. No definitive timetable yet.
• Michigan players development tryouts for girls scheduled for April 17-19 are still on at this point.
• Michigan Midget Festival in May and Bantam Player Development Camps in June are also unaffected at this point
• USA Hockey has not stopped hockey as of now. Both USA Hockey and MAHA are allowing associations / teams to make their own decision on continuing to play or not. All associations should be following any city, county, or State of Michigan guidelines in determining next steps.
• LCAHL and Adray have postponed all events and activities for this weekend.
Please note, what I've provided you is just the facts as they existed on March 12. There were other questions and discussion about other possibilities, but everything is so fluid at this time it really won't do any good to recap them. USA Hockey and MAHA are actively working with the CDC, WHO, and local states in determining the best course of action in helping prevent the spread of the virus.
The MAHA Executive Committee will continue monitor the situation and meet as changes occur. Additional postponements and cancellations may become necessary as things change. We will continue to keep you informed as the situation changes via www.maha.org.
Michigan Amateur Hockey Association
2020 Spring 12U
Click Here To Enroll in Kroger Community Rewards. A percentage of your purchases will go to Garden City Hockey. Our enrollment number is FC115 or you can select enroll and look for Garden City Hockey Association. Thanks... Every little bit helps your association.